Posted to rec.woodworking

Default garage heaters

On Mon, 28 Dec 2020 11:27:24 -0800 (PST), "
wrote:

On Sunday, December 27, 2020 at 9:42:43 AM UTC-8, wrote:
On Sat, 26 Dec 2020 19:39:06 -0800 (PST), "
wrote:

On Saturday, December 26, 2020 at 5:59:30 PM UTC-8, wrote:
On Sat, 26 Dec 2020 16:35:01 -0800 (PST), "
wrote:

On Saturday, December 26, 2020 at 11:54:02 AM UTC-8, wrote
I don't see a problem with this as long as the current circuit is 10Ga
wiring with a 30A breaker. Note that the 6-30R is a 30A plug. This is
sort of circuit is a little unusual for a table saw, which are usually
connects to a 20A branch.

It is a 20A branch so I assume 12 gauge wire.
Not enough power. 5000W/240V = 21A
You need a 30A circuit. Your plug is rated for 30A. No way around
this one.

The 240 outlet happens to be right below the perfect spot to hang a heater. The heater cord would only have to be 7 feet at the most. I'm hoping to save a few bucks by not installing a new breaker, wire, and outlet.
I doesn't matter. You don't have enough power for it.

Perfect! Thanks for clarifying. Budget calls for a cheap solution, so I need to find something that is no more than 4800W. Someday I'll go big. For now I just need something that can take the chill off better than an office space heater.

No, you need to target less than 4000W (3600W?). At 4800W, you're too
close to the edge. At the maximum line voltage the heater will draw
21A.

Yes, the 4800w's that come corded have a 6-30P plug. Therefore, I'm going with this one - Cadet 4000-Watt Electric Garage Heater. It has a 6-20P plug, so it should work. Currently I'm using a 1500w office space heater and it works ok if a have it right next to me on the bench. I'm hoping at almost 3 times the wattage, this one will suffice. I don't need a sauna. Just warm enough to relax a little.

You could use both. I might use an infrared heater where you tend to
work. I'll keep you (well, half of you) warm without sucking up too
much power.

I don't use a heater because my (walk out) basement only gets cold for
a few weeks out of the year (it's 58F now and may get down to about
50F). Once I get working a sweatshirt is good enough.