Posted to rec.woodworking
Just Wondering[_4_] Just Wondering[_4_] is offline

Default garage heaters

On 12/26/2020 12:13 PM, wrote:
Merry Christmas, everyone!
I'm looking to put a ceiling mounted heater in my garage workshop. I'm looking at models that are 5000w and 240v. Rather than hard-wiring the unit I'd like to have it corded and use the existing 240 plug I use for my table saw. Since the table saw isn't used constantly I figure I could just have the heater plugged in and swap for the table saw as needed. Is there any other concerns with swapping devices plugged in to a 240 outlet?
Most heaters that are 5000w or higher say they require being hardwired. However, there is a Dr. Infrared Heater DR-988 Garage Shop 208/240V, 4800/5600W heater that comes with a 6-30R plug factory attached.
If this one comes with a factory plug attached, why can't I buy any other "hard wired" unit and put a 240v plug on it?

Have you considered a heat pump? They're cheaper to run that those
heaters, and give you cooling in the summer. Something like this:

https://www.amazon.com/PIONEER-Air-C...dDbGljaz10cnVl