Posted to rec.woodworking

Default garage heaters

On Sat, 26 Dec 2020 11:13:37 -0800 (PST), "
wrote:

Merry Christmas, everyone!
I'm looking to put a ceiling mounted heater in my garage workshop. I'm looking at models that are 5000w and 240v. Rather than hard-wiring the unit I'd like to have it corded and use the existing 240 plug I use for my table saw. Since the table saw isn't used constantly I figure I could just have the heater plugged in and swap for the table saw as needed. Is there any other concerns with swapping devices plugged in to a 240 outlet?
Most heaters that are 5000w or higher say they require being hardwired. However, there is a Dr. Infrared Heater DR-988 Garage Shop 208/240V, 4800/5600W heater that comes with a 6-30R plug factory attached.
If this one comes with a factory plug attached, why can't I buy any other "hard wired" unit and put a 240v plug on it?

I don't see a problem with this as long as the current circuit is 10Ga
wiring with a 30A breaker. Note that the 6-30R is a 30A plug. This is
sort of circuit is a little unusual for a table saw, which are usually
connects to a 20A branch.

I have several power tools (table saw, bandsaw, and lathe) plugged
into the same 240V circuit, with the assumption that I can only use
one at a time. My dust collector is on a separate circuit of its own
because it will be used together with these tools.

The units intended to be hard wired may only have UL certification for
this use. Using them with a plug may technically be a violation of
the code. There is nothing to say that it won't work but it's not the
intended use, as long as the power doesn't exceed the capability of
the circuit.