Posted to sci.electronics.repair
Ralph Mowery Ralph Mowery is offline

Default Removing dried WD-40

In article ,
says...

Here's what bothers me about WD40 despite what the MSDS says. I've used it where there was no previous lubricant, and found later than it crusted over. I used it twice, once on an HDMI connector on the back of a bluray and the other on a micro USB connector on a wifi extender, both a bit touchy due to contact issues. Yes, I

know it's not a contact preservative but any clean lube works fine off label. Several months later, both quit working. Removing the connectors revealed white crusty material on both the connector and inside the cables. I ended up using WD to flush out the crusties and then flushed out the WD with Free All. No more problems.

I have seen WD40 leave behind some crud also. Not sure if it was dust
it attracted or what, but it was crud. Free All did the same thing to
me on a piece of equipment. I do not let WD-40 in the house and use
Kroil to loosen stuck bolts.
I use other oils for lubrication.