Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Hydraulic hand-pump, pressure-gauge and jack / cylinder - buy

"Richard Smith" wrote in message ...

Hello again all

I need to get advice.
I need a portable hydraulic pump & cylinder combination
- hand pump
- oil pressure gauge
- hydraulic cylinder(s)

because

* blowing someone else's hydraulic seals makes you "persona less
grata"

* the fillet weld tests break abruptly, which is cruel to repeatedly
do to someone's "shop" press

so, as I can see a lot more tests to do - plus other applications for
a hydraulic jack - I need to get my own kit.

The oil pressure gauge is to give a "Force=pressure*area" estimate of
Force being applied in the tests.
Plus other uses. eg. you could be tensioning bolts.

I've done calculations, and in view of experience I have, this is the
"bottom line" - the biggest cylinder needed
50Tonne cylinder with 50mm stroke.

Any good advice?

Rich Smith

=======================================
I think the best answer is to acquaint yourself with local small hydraulics
shops and ask them. Several of the owners were happy to find another
creative tinkerer and showed me all the stuff they'd designed and built.

A hydraulic press is a particularly easy machine to build or modify if you
have the means to cut and drill structural steel. I'd record the dimensions
of the channels and bolts of the 50 ton press you used and look for cutoffs
from a steel fabricator.

Hand pumps can be found in real or fake Porta-Power kits and Greenlee
punches, however I haven't seen 2-speed hand pumps except on 50 ton presses
and manual log splitters. Powered log splitters do have 2-speed gear pumps,
actually separate wide and narrow gear pairs. A valve bypasses the wide
pair at high pressure.

Do you have British suppliers like these where much of my hydraulic kit came
from?
https://www.northerntool.com/

https://www.baileyhydraulics.com/