Posted to rec.woodworking
dpb[_3_] dpb[_3_] is offline

Default Titebond III must be a very different animal.

On 12/20/2020 5:20 PM, Leon wrote:
On 12/19/2020 2:27 PM, Greg Guarino wrote:
I bought some Titebond III recently. I didn't need it to be waterproof
but I liked the idea of longer open time for a little less stressful
gluing. I had used TII and TI in the past.
I used it to glue up that butcher-block-style table top. I'm
"recycling" the wood which is currently finished with poly, I think.
I'm going to sand off the old finish anyway so I didn't bother trying
to meticulously remove the squeeze-out, especially on the bottom.
I got a pretty generous gob of glue on the (chrome) bar of a Jorgensen
Cabinet Master clamp. (I had left the clamps on for just about 24
hours - yes, I know I didn't need to) In my previous experience with
wood glue, stuff like that would flick right off. Not so this time. It
was stuck but good; had to use a knife to pry it off bit by bit.

Ah TiteBond.Â* LOLÂ* I only use TB III and itÂ* failed the water proof test
more than a decade ago when tested by a magazine.Â* In fact the TBI
proved to be more water proof than the TBIII.Â* I had fun with that one
when mentioning it to Franklin.

Both TB II and TB III pass a given ANSI Standard for water resistance.
That's all it means ... as I recall the "test" the magazine did had no
relationship to those tests. Of course, those tests are very artificial
if you go look up what they consist of, but they are the recognized test
standards.

Franklin never officially claimed anything otherwise; I notice they have
somewhat modified the advertising jargon...

I use both but with so much work I do outside, the lower chalk
temperature for TIII is extremely helpful.

I've not had a glue failure in any exterior application with TIII on
anything I thought was at all a reasonable application for the
product--it does everything it should do.