Posted to rec.woodworking
dpb[_3_] dpb[_3_] is offline

Default Titebond III must be a very different animal.

On 12/19/2020 2:27 PM, Greg Guarino wrote:
I bought some Titebond III recently. I didn't need it to be waterproof but I liked the idea of longer open time for a little less stressful gluing. I had used TII and TI in the past.
I used it to glue up that butcher-block-style table top. I'm "recycling" the wood which is currently finished with poly, I think. I'm going to sand off the old finish anyway so I didn't bother trying to meticulously remove the squeeze-out, especially on the bottom.
I got a pretty generous gob of glue on the (chrome) bar of a Jorgensen Cabinet Master clamp. (I had left the clamps on for just about 24 hours - yes, I know I didn't need to) In my previous experience with wood glue, stuff like that would flick right off. Not so this time. It was stuck but good; had to use a knife to pry it off bit by bit.

Yes, it is different, indeed. Original Yellow is an aliphatic resin, II
is a PVA while III is a "proprietary polymer", but it is, as far as I
know, still unique. It definitely has much a higher "stick factor" to
metals and other non-wood slick surfaces.