Posted to rec.woodworking
Greg Guarino[_2_] Greg Guarino[_2_] is offline

Default A waste of time?

On Saturday, December 19, 2020 at 12:55:21 PM UTC-5, wrote:
On Sat, 19 Dec 2020 00:47:33 -0500, DJ Delorie wrote:

"Waste of time" has to account for all the side-effects. Once the glue
sets, the glue should be stronger than the wood, so no other fasteners
are needed. But... did the dowels help you assemble it? Did they
maintain alignment for you? I use biscuits for all my glue-ups, despite
trusting the glue, because overall they're worth the effort.

I have a PC plate jointer, used it once and will sell it _cheap_ on
eBay some day I get some time and motivation. I thought it was the
worst abomination I've ever used. It sounds like a Mack truck with an
open exhaust crossed with a locomotive without wheel bearings. The
slot is so loose that I don't see how anyone could use the stupid
thing. It's been sitting on the shelf for years.

So no, I don't think they're a waste of time.

I understood that he was gluing end-grain as well. That never works
well.

Not end grain. Long grain.