Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Why do bandsaw blades break?

"Jon Elson" wrote in message
I have one of those horizontal-vertcal bandsaws, so the blades not only go
around the wheels, they get twised about 45 degrees in the cutting region to
cut straight. I think that puts a lot more stress on the blade than on a
big wheel vertical-only saw. Also, the smaller the saw, the smaller
diameter the wheels are. That increases the bending.

Jon

The 4" x 6" H/V bandsaws take blades 0.025" thick, and on mine they wear
dull without cracking. Typically one side dulls more than the other so they
deflect and cut crooked in thick wide stock, though they can still be used
on smaller pieces.

I tried 3/4" wide x 0.032" thick blades on a 10" wheel upright bandsaw and
found that they soon began to crack in the narrow part of the gullets.

The maker of the 1-1/4" x 0.042" blades on my sawmill recommends 19" or
larger wheels for them.