Posted to sci.electronics.repair,sci.electronics.design
[email protected] jlarkin@highlandsniptechnology.com is offline

Default Callins capacitor?

On Fri, 11 Dec 2020 19:31:10 -0500, legg wrote:

On Fri, 11 Dec 2020 08:55:19 -0800,
wrote:

On Fri, 11 Dec 2020 16:13:22 -0000 (UTC), "Don" wrote:

Greetings,

Why do Callins capacitors command such a high premium:

https://richelectronics.co.uk/produc...ow-esr-ol0382b

What's so special about them?

What's a good substitute?

Danke,

Is that a non-polar electrolytic? Looks like two regular caps potted.

What use is a 300 uF non-polar 'lytic?

Crossover network?

I also saw something of a similar value in a Hafler preamp parts list,
(and another smaller value) though I couldn't locate it on the
schematis..

RL

The old bakelite Black Beauty film (or maybe paper?) caps are highly
prized/priced because some people can hear the difference.

If I paid $25 for a 0.022 uF cap, I bet I could hear the difference.

I wonder how many of these sorts of things are Chinese fakes.

--

John Larkin Highland Technology, Inc