Posted to sci.electronics.repair,sci.electronics.design
Don[_31_] Don[_31_] is offline

Default Callins capacitor?

In sci.electronics.design Tim Schwartz wrote:
Don,

If you look closely at the photo showing the cap on its side, you'll
see a row of "+" marks, so this is a plain old polarized electrolytic
capacitor, are are both C6 and C7 on the schematic diagram you provided.
Perhaps one of them had been replaced over the units history. One is
marked 100uf/10V and the other 100V/6V, so maybe it is what the
purchasing department was able to get a deal on.

My experience with those encapsulated Callins caps is that they are
awful. I am NOT a fan of changing every electrolytic capacitor over 3
months old, which seems to be popular on internet forums, but I might
make an exception for the Callins caps. A couple of years ago I got a
lot of surplus caps, including dozens of Callins, all of which tested
bad even after being give a while to form up on my trusty Heathkit IT-28
"capacitor checker".

AR and KLH seemed to use quite a few of them in some models.

Maybe they are charging so much because they are the only good ones
left on the planet?

People get nostalgic about all sorts of things. And it's OK with me if
they spend good money to make the object of their obsession a perfect
replica in every way. Some people pay a lot more for questionable fine
art.

It turns out there's a typo on the schematic. The actual Callins part is
rated at 25 V. Regardless, thank you for taking the time to confirm my
suspicions about it.

Danke,

--
Don, KB7RPU
There was a young lady named Bright Whose speed was far faster than light;