Posted to sci.electronics.repair
bruce bowser bruce bowser is offline

Default liquid electric tape?

On Sunday, December 6, 2020 at 2:05:08 PM UTC-5, Jeff Liebermann wrote:
On Sun, 6 Dec 2020 13:49:08 -0500, Jezebels_couz
wrote:
Anyone here use it and what is its durability? How about melting
temperature in warmer environments? Thanks.

I bought a can of this stuff at the local hardware sto
https://www.amazon.com/Star-brite-Liquid-Electrical-Tape/dp/B0000AXNOD
My first use was to patch cracks and cuts in several expensive rubber
cables. It went on fairly easily but hardened a bit lumpy. It lasted
about a month before pieces started falling off. There might have
been some contamination (grease, hand oils, solvents) involved, but it
was too late to check. I later used it for rubber microphone coil
cords, which also crumbled after a few weeks of movement. This time,
I gave the cable an acetone wipe, which should have removed any
grease.

However, the lack of durability was not the major problem. It was the
can. No matter how hard I tried, I could not keep the rubber compound
from getting into the threads on the lid. Once the stuff hardened, it
was impossible to remove the lid. I tried various straps, clamps,
pliers, pipe wrenches, and solvents. Nothing would get the lid loose.

I'm a regular with liquid nails when wiring up construction sites and I know the feeling trying to recover goop, sparkle, other tube/can/bottle contents. I guess ultimately two channel locks going in opposite directions might crush or damage the bottle if wet rags don't cushion the jaws. I've seen where you could use a belt to unscrew an oil filter near a car's engine for an oil change.

After losing the contents of 2 cans in this manner, I gave up and
decided to find something else.

No clue on melting temperature.

--
Jeff Liebermann