Posted to sci.electronics.repair
Transition Zone Transition Zone is offline

Default dead AGPTEK A02 MP3 player

On Wednesday, October 14, 2020 at 8:20:55 AM UTC-4, legg wrote:
On Tue, 13 Oct 2020 18:44:49 -0400, Runner
wrote:
https://www.amazon.com/AGPTEK-Playba...811197097&psc=

Above is the link for an AGPTEK player I purchased about four years ago.
It has performed flawlessly until the other day when it wouldn't come
on at all. On this model, the way to reset is to press and hold the
play/ pause button for 30 seconds, but does not work. It has USB port
along the side for hooking up to the PC. Tried that and nothing, drive
doesn't show nor anything about being recognized by USB. Trouble is
that I have a lot of songs on it and before I trash it and start with a
new one, I wondered if there was any way to at least salvage the songs?
I did disassemble it. There is a 3.7V battery the same size as the LCD
display. I disconnected the battery, then tried to hook to the PC,
still nothing. Then, I connected a fresh 3.7V battery and still no go.
Unfortunately, upon disassembly, the ribbon cable to the display is so
fragile that I broke it so even if I got it going again, it would be to
only salvage the songs. Thanks in advance for any help. Just want to
get its drive recognized by the PC if possible.

Check any moving parts - switches and connector. Leave battery in,
when trying to read.

My sympathies, but don't use anything on flash for permanent storage.

I wonder if manufacturers of late model MP3 players are security conscious enough to cause all memory to disappear once the device is opened.
(Like, maybe when Apple phones are 'steamed' open).