Posted to sci.electronics.repair
Jezebels_couz Jezebels_couz is offline

Default shunt/ current sense resistor question

On 12/2/20 2:47 PM, Ralph Mowery wrote:
In article , says...

Here's a diagram of what I was trying to explain. I wasn't sure I was
very clear, so hopefully the diagram will better relate:

https://i.imgur.com/pYSRxiX.jpg

I understand what you are going to do.

To put your mind at ease Astron that makes power supplies has a 20 amp
one that has two pass transistors. That means that each one would be
good for 10 amps. They use only one .1 ohm 10 watt per transistor.

I have larger ones that do the same thing and they have worked for years
with no problems.

Each of your resistors will need to be less than 3 watts at a 10 amp
current if a quick calculation is correct.

Ok, just wanted to be sure as high current would still have to squeeze
through those small areas and I wanted to minimize heating and loss. In
my mind, it sort of defeated the purpose of using 12 gauge wire
everywhere else to have a bottleneck at the end, but if all is well then
no longer concerned. There will be two 5W resistors in parallel, so
good to go on wattage. Thanks again.