Posted to sci.electronics.repair
John Robertson John Robertson is offline

Default making wires on circuit board immobile but able to be removedlater?

On 2020-12-01 15:58, Adrian Caspersz wrote:
On 30/11/2020 23:34, Chuck wrote:
I am in the process of modifying a circuit by adding a small external
circuit board and then wiring into the main board. I don't want the
wires to move around when I'm done, but yet if I ever need to make
repairs, I want to be able to remove them. I see some people using
hot glue for such matters, but I don't think I'd be able to desolder
the wires later without using a lot of force to remove the hot glue
first. What could I use?

Candle wax?

NO!
Long ago (50+ years) I used that to stabilize selfwound RF inductors.
The copper rotted away within a year. It may depend on the wax type,
bees wax is supposed to be less agressive.

Arie

I would think that candle wax would have dyes and perfumes added. Lots of coils, capacitors, transformers, etc. were potted in wax for decades without issues. I guess pure beeswax would be the safe bet though.

I use beeswax for repotting some 1970s flybacks on old GE TVs that we
use in some classic video games made by Nutting Assoc. Works great and
hasn't led to any further trouble after upwards of ten years...I made a
simple silicon mold to hold the old core and just warm up and pour the
wax in.

John :-#)#

John's Jukes Ltd.
(604)872-5757 (Pinballs, Jukes, Video Games)
www.flippers.com