Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Default another dimmer smoked today outside thank goodness!

On Wednesday, November 25, 2020 at 11:35:21 AM UTC+11, Chuck wrote:
On 11/24/20 5:38 PM, Phil Allison wrote:
Chuck wrote:

I appreciate this too. Further investigation on my part might shed
light on a cause for both of my dimmer failures: too high of input
voltage! Even though advertised as 12-24VDC input, I tend not to trust
this figure and, after looking at the components inside, I think it's
12V, period! Unfortunately, the driving supplies I had been using for
this were more like for standard Ham radio, 13.8 VDC. Perhaps this
higher voltage could not be handled by the dimmer components.

** You have never posted what PSU voltage you have been using ???

The rating of 12-24V applies to the LED array it is driving.

You cannot use a 24V supply, connect a 12 V LED array and set the control half way.

..... Phil

So, it could have been either lack of heatsinking, my 1.8V overvoltage,
or both?

** Was you 8A current figure when the controller was set to full ?

Thanks for the clarification on the 12-24V. I certainly didn't know this!

** Yes - it is missing data in the advertising.

A PWM controller is *not* a voltage regulator, merely a " time division" current reducer.

If the voltage is a little high, the current will be way higher.

....... Phil