Posted to sci.electronics.repair
Chuck[_40_] Chuck[_40_] is offline

Default another dimmer smoked today outside thank goodness!

On 11/24/20 9:42 AM, Peter W. wrote:
https://www.cui.com/blog/what-is-the...-ul-recognized

https://store.intellaliftparts.com/b...abbreviations/

Per the NEC and various codes, powered item permanently installed (in the USA) is required to carry a UL/ETL listing.
Technically, any mains-attached (plug-in) item sold to the public (in the USA) is also required to carry a UL/ETL listing. At whatever operating voltage.
UL Listed items made up of sub-assemblies will typically carry UR symbols on those sub-assemblies. Repairs made to such items must be with UR components.

Where this gets cute: That junk from China is sold from, and originates in China, is typically shipped via subsidized Chinese Post, and directly to the consumer - thereby avoiding the letter of regulations and codes. And then there are here-today-gone-tomorrow resellers that get around the code by simply ignoring it. Making their consumers potential victims.

https://www.galco.com/buy/Staco-Ener...xoCQPcQAvD_BwE This device carries a CSA mark.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/20Amp-Varia...V/124023830503 This device does not. Note the difference in cost. That cost is not only for those obscene profits on the part of the manufacturer, but also for proper design, proper testing, basic quality control, insurance and all the other unnecessary niceties avoided by the resellers and their suppliers. So, the bottom line is that you get what you pay for, with all the consequences attached thereto.

Yes, I definitely see that now. Unfortunately, I had really hoped to be
able to use one of these dimmers because the linear supply is going to
take up more space, but I will not sacrifice my safety for space. I do
wonder about something like PC power supplies. I have some old Dell
ones, many times used for other purposes (those three voltage rails sure
come in handy sometimes), but none that I can see have any UL listings.
I've had desktop PC's run for years 24/7 without incident. Anything
that ever went bad was usually memory or hard drives and such. I've had
a lot more trouble with laptops (but still not laptop power supplies...
motherboards!), but that's a story for another day.

Peter Wieck
Melrose Park, PA