Old October 18th 20, 11:41 PM posted to rec.woodworking
Leon[_7_] Leon[_7_] is offline

Default lox vs. star head screw

On 10/18/2020 1:32 PM, Dave in SoTex wrote:
On 10/17/2020 6:21 PM, Leon wrote:
On 10/17/2020 2:56 AM, v wrote:
which is better?* which is less stripping?* which gets more torq.?

With a good bit probably neither.

BUT which do you see more often in stores?* I have personally never
seen a LOX.

Plain square drive was superior to Phillips years ago but the quality
of a lot of square drive have gone down hill.
I have a stock of thousands of square drive.* If I were to change
styles it would be the Torx.* It has been around for a very long time
and is easily found in stores.

**** When "we" discovered GRX screws in the mid-90s, Circle Saw in
Houston was the only place that we knew of who stocked them.* Fell in
love with them, often used them in places where we couldn't get a
framing nailer.* I couldn't count how many I've used in the last 14 or
15 years but I doubt I've ever busted the head off one but a couple of
times.
**** Like Leon says, nowadays you can find them everywhere, and in a
variety of sizes and lengths.

Dave in So Tex

FWIW GM started using the Torx screws/bolts in the mid 70's. I'm sure
they were around before that. LOL.
It finally got to the WW industry.
Too, Ford was looking for a better screw than the straight head design
waaaaaay back when.
Philips won out over Robertson.