Angela

Default victorian/edwardian houses or new houses?

"enuff" wrote in message

"mark al" wrote in message
om...
im just about to buy my first house and would like opinions,

advice etc
what are the pros and cons of buying a victorian/edwardian house

as
oppposed to buying a new house.any views will be read with

interest.

Having owned both brand new and old I would now go for older

properties. IMO
the main advantages are that they tend to be on larger plots, have

larger
rooms and in many instances more substantially built which in

theory makes
things like loft conversions easier etc. Also larger plots mean

more room
around you, more privacy and space to "expand" with extensions at a

later
date. Because of this potential I also think they are a better

investment
financially. On top of this (if you can find an unmolested one)

they offer
more character than most new builds.

The disadvantages will depend of the individual property. Our last

one
needed rewiring, central heating, new kitchen and bath plus

redecoration.
Something most "older" houses need at some point in their lives. A

newer
house may not need any of these. Also IME older houses need ongoing
maintenance to stop them declining, newer houses less so.

In short older houses will cost money at some point, in all

likelyhood more
than a new one. But if you buy carefully, make sure you are aware

of what
you're getting into and use a good surveyor I'd go with an old

house every
time.

HTH

I absolutely agree. Much will depend on if you will have any spare
cash or whether you are pushing yourself to the financial limit. If
it's the former then buy and old house for all the good reasons
above, if it's the latter then new is best so you wont have any
maintenance expenditure

Good luck

Angela