Mark & Shauna

Default Why solder will not melt?

Yes, lead free (95/5) on ALL joints in the potable water system. This
means everything, toilets, washing machines, etc.. Like I said, you can
still use 50/50 on forced hot water systems and such that are protected
from the potable water system by a backflow preventer.
To this day I still personally use 50/50 on heating systems as I feel
it is a little less brittle (very very fussy issue here) and feel that
it will handle the higher heats of a hydronic heating system (200
degrees on some older systemes) better. That said, I know plumbers who
prefer to buy one solder and use 95/5 exclusively and have been doing so
for many years now with no issues whatsoever.
The less brittle issue comes from working in industrial applications
where we used to solder 4 and 6 inch copper lines with 50/50 and then
cap them (the last bit of the joint was filled) with 95/5 for some
rigidity to hold the 50/50 in as there was so much surface area on the
joint... its just an old hold over and I am not at all worried that I
will accidentally solder a potable joint with 50/50 having both in the
tool box.

Mark

Terry wrote:
Mark & Shauna wrote:

As one post said, Lead free solder is now required. This does NOT mean
silver solder. A house would cost a FORTUNE to plumb with silver solder.
There was almost a rebelion in making the switch to 95/5 from 50/50
because it was a couple bucks higher per pound much less paying for
silver solder. 95/5 (tin and antimony) does however melt a little hotter
than 50/50 and can make a wet joint even harder. 50/50 however is still
fine on any non-potable water lines (heating systems/etc).

So any copper line which may be used for potable water requires
the newer solder?
I guess 'potable' would include kitchen cold and hot taps,
therefore all joints in the hot water system, bathroom cold taps,
for tooth brushing etc. Icemaker connections, dishwashers etc.?
In other words anything with water you put in your mouth?
Thanks for any comments. Terry.