josepea

Default interior Painting newly built house ?

"jon" wrote in message ...
"josepea" wrote in message
om...
I want to paint my living room walls. The house is newly built-only
six years old. The walls were painted initially with what can only be
described as a powdery matt paint. If you brush past the walls then
you get the powdery stuff on your clothes ! I've tried to wash down
the walls with sugar soap and some of the powder paint has come off
revealing bare plasterboard.Any advice on how to prepare the walls for
painting ?

Josepea

Wash down to remove majority of poor quality paint, as you have already
tried in places.
Then seal the walls by brushing on a primer coat of PVA/water mixed as per
instructions on the can.

PVA is available from most / all diy chains, builders merchants and even the
local Wilko style places.

Once the PVA has sealed the plasterboard then paint as normal.

HTH, Jon

I've justed visited Wilko and read the instructions on the back of
their PVA. It actually says it is not suitable to be used as a primer
prior to painting so now I'm confused !

Josepea