Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Default Removing dried WD-40

Fox's Mercantile wrote:

======================
I know some think of WD-40 as the "go to" for everything, but
After hosing something down, 5-10 years later the volatile
solvents have evaporated leaving behind a stiff gunk.

** Takes only an hour for the solvents to evaporate leaving behind ordinary clear mineral oil.

So, my question is how do you remove it?

** More WD of course. The petrol based solvent does the trick.

The only way I know it will wind up stuck on is if the items gets hot - like the pins of vacuum tubes - and that takes years.

For example on a typewriter that some idiot hosed it down with.

** WD claim it "free sticky mechanisms" and it damn well does - like with locks exposed to the weather.

That typewriter was jamming or rusted and WD freed it up.

...... Phil