Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Default can bad cap = hot motor?

I know modern caps are much better than old caps. However, why do you
suppose it is that motor run caps are so big for their voltage and
capacitance ratings compared to other non-polarized caps? I'm serious.

That is not a bad question at all:
a) Because they are AC-rated caps.
b) Because the nature of a motor starting puts a tremendous load on the cap for a very short time, so they must be robust enough to absorb that shock, repeatedly and reliably, in addition to the actual voltage involved. So, whereas the actual operating voltage may be say.... 240 VAC, the start-cap must be rated (at a minimum) of 150% of the operating voltage.
c) Typical NP caps are used a great deal in audio applications, where the voltages are small, and the frequencies high.
d) Motor Run caps start around 370V, or so, are typically of much lower capacitance than a start-cap (and whereas replacement voltage may be higher, replacement capacitance should remain very close or identical to OEM).

Hope that helps.

Peter Wieck
Melrose Park, PA