Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Default can bad cap = hot motor?

On Wednesday, 19 August 2020 17:15:06 UTC+1, wrote:
On Tue, 18 Aug 2020 20:11:15 -0700 (PDT), tabbypurr wrote:
On Tuesday, 18 August 2020 16:54:25 UTC+1, wrote:
On Mon, 17 Aug 2020 14:14:28 -0700 (PDT), tabbypurr wrote:
On Saturday, 15 August 2020 22:19:46 UTC+1, wrote:
On Fri, 14 Aug 2020 19:56:04 -0400, Ralph Mowery
wrote:
In article ,
says...

Yeah, I'm betting that the cap is as old as the motor. I'll take your
advice and replace it. I don't understand how the current can be
different if there are only two wires feeding the motor. What am I
missing?
Thanks,
Eric

Not likely, but if one of the windings is shorted to ground or the
capacitor is leaking to ground the current could be different.

I guess the cap could indeed be leaking to ground. It has a brass case
after all and the case may be touching metal. I will be replacing the
cap and that will hopefully solve the heating issue. I'm certain it
will speed up the startup.
Eric

Maybe you can restuff it rather than dispose.

NT
While I can see the draw of keeping all the old stuff intact or
appearing so this cap is weird. It's a rectangle about 5/16 inch
thick. Modern motor caps are a lot different in shape.
Eric

You gave its dimensions earlier. It is presumably a flat paper cap. I meant restuff with higher v non-motor caps.

NT

Modern motor run caps are all large. They use a lot of material. It
can't be they do this just because of tradition.
Eric

You could always look up what properties motor run caps have.
But did you also notice that even a 1930s paper cap lasted 80+ years? Modern film caps are massively better & smaller.

NT