Posted to alt.home.repair
TimR[_2_] TimR[_2_] is offline

Default Fluorescent tube (replacement)

On Saturday, August 1, 2020 at 10:44:05 AM UTC-4, Lindgs wrote:
I am trying t replace a tube in a kitchen fixture. The old one was difficult
to remove. The new one will not totally seat in the fixture. Can some kind
of lubricant (WD40) be put on the pins to facilitate the installation?

--
for full context, visit https://www.homeownershub.com/mainte...t-1225749-.htm

I do not believe lubrication will help.

If you get tube lined up exactly and push straight in then turn, it should fit.

If it doesn't something is worn or broken, and lubrication will not help.

But getting them really straight without twisting or angling is usually the problem.

Also check the pins, you could have a bad tube. I've never seen one but it seems logical it could happen.

I converted to LED tubes - disconnected the ballast and discarded. It turned out my tombstones were nonshunted so I didn't even need to replace but you do need to check that. I'm happy with them so far. And I put the LED shoplights in my shed, and now in the winter they come on right away, unlike the fluorescent that can't handle the cold.