Posted to uk.d-i-y
Tim Lamb[_2_] Tim Lamb[_2_] is offline

Default External handrail fixing

In message , Jeff Layman
writes
We have three steps up to our front door. These are 8" high (vertical
brick) and can be awkward for those who are less mobile. I have been
thinking of putting in a handrail like that at
https://www.amazon.co.uk/Wrought-Iro...s/dp/B072SWRPY
9/ref=cm_cr_arp_d_product_top?ie=UTF8&th=1.

However, as can be seen at the photo at https://ibb.co/Yt4q3Pz, the
fixing for the base of the handrail top post will be close to the edge
of the brick. The door opening is more-or-less along where the brick
and tile meet (where the weather deflector shows), so I would not want
the handrail inside that. I am concerned that even if it survives
drilling, trying to use a plug or rawlplug could result in the top edge
of the brick splitting away when the screw is tightened. Maybe some
sort of resin fixing such as
https://www.screwfix.com/p/rawlplug-...ne-free-polyes
ter-resin-175ml/4100r would be less likely to damage the brick. I do
not want to drill into the tile as if it cracks I have no replacement.
The door surround is metal-framed PVC, and I doubt it has reliable
strength to take a wall fixing for a handrail.

Any comments?

Depends a lot on the brick:-) Yours look to be solid clay rather than
full of holes. Assuming the rail is fitted coming up from the right in
your photo, you could fit an additional spacer as high up the lower
upright as you can and screw through that to the wall?

I don't see a problem in doing the same to the metal framed PVC.

--
Tim Lamb