Posted to uk.d-i-y
[email protected] dr.j.r.stockton@gmail.com is offline

Default Power meter plug suitable for PC?

On Friday, 31 July 2020 15:10:51 UTC+1, NY wrote:
"jon" wrote in message ...

I have a meter (from Maplin) which measures power in both W and VA,

No. Power is Watts, and VA is not Watts.

Power is the rate of delivering energy, and one Watt is needed to accelerate one kilogram by one metre per second per second.

Electrically, average Power W is the average of instantaneous (Voltage x Current); and VA is Root-Mean-Square Voltage x Root-Mean-Square Current. Power Factor is the ratio of those two, W / VA

one
assuming that current and voltage are in phase and the other taking into
account the fact that they are not. Real power [W] = apparent power [VA] *
power factor.

I presume it is the real power that an electricity meter registers

That is NOT what it registers. It registers real Energy, in real kilowatt hours.

and that
you want a plug-in meter to read.

--
(c) John Stockton, near London, UK. Using Google Groups. |
Mail: - or as Reply-To, if any. |