Posted to uk.d-i-y
F Murtz F Murtz is offline

Default Septic tank

On 29/7/20 9:27 pm, The Natural Philosopher wrote:
On 29/07/2020 12:03, NY wrote:
Cess pit: sealed container which has no outflow and does little to
process the sewage - effectively everything that goes in has to be
emptied back out.

Septic tank: two vessels which process the sewage and discharge
*fairly* innocuous liquid into a soakway or a water course (though the
latter is not allowed in the new 2020 regs)

Neither have been allowed for years. That's why I had to put in what you
call a 'mini sewage works' back in the noughties.. had a septic tank
discharging into a soakaway, they said 'New house? Cant use that'

Mini sewage works: septic tank with mechanical agitation and maybe air
bubbled through the sewage to help it to rot more, discharging liquid
which is cleaner than for a septic tank, into either a soakway or a
watercourse (the latter *is* allowed in the 2020 regs).

Other methods are allowable. I.e. reed beds etc etc

In Australia mine is a tank that overflows into an absorption trench and
every year I have to pay a fee "to operate a sewage treatment works"