Posted to uk.d-i-y
newshound newshound is offline

Default Stick welding revelation

On 30/07/2020 12:31, Andy Burns wrote:
John Rumm wrote:

IFAIU Lift start and scratch start are just different names for the
same thingĀ* (as opposed to HF start on a more sophisticated machine)

I thought (based only on watching welders on youtube) that touching TIG
electrodes to the work was a real no-no?

Does anyone really use the terms SMAW/GMAW/GTAW rather than
stick/MIG/TIG, or is that just an American thing, or a professional
welders thing?

I thought they were just the American terms. In the UK, MMA/MIG/TIG all
seem widely understood. There's also SAW and Electroslag and, I suppose,
thermite!