Posted to uk.d-i-y
polygonum_on_google[_2_] polygonum_on_google[_2_] is offline

Default Ghost Signs (Preservation)

On Wednesday, 29 July 2020 21:28:28 UTC+1, wrote:
Hi All,

Does anyone have any knowledge of preserving / conserving / maintaining ghost signs?

We have one (B&W) in the village which is Fading fast.

I have read that the reason many have lasted so long is
Because that were originally painted with lead based oil paint.

I presume thats not an option today.

Most of the (few) restorations Ive seen online involve repainting to as new condition.

I think it would be preferable to keep a weathered look, but in such a way that it didnt need attention for at least a decade or preferably two or three.

Any thoughts??

No thoughts about how to preserve them, I'm afraid.

But I do particularly remember the very large SWS (static water supply) sign painted on a building in St Peter Street, Winchester, just off North Walls, by the cinema.