Posted to rec.woodworking
Phil Anderson[_3_] Phil Anderson[_3_] is offline

Default What's your game changer?

"Bob D" wrote in message

This may be an old topic but I am too lazy to search for it.

Do you have an item that has been a game changer for you in
pursuit of woodworking excellence. It can be something you
purchased or built or found in the trash. It can cost
anywhere from free to $1000's. Please refrain from value
judgement comments like "too expensive; not worth it; etc".
To someone its worth it. I am just looking for inspiration
and ideas. Please expand on how or what you accomplished
that caused you to say "Wow, this is a real game changer".

I will start it off with some game changers for me.

1. self centering drill bit - I was trying to mount a piano
hinge and each screw seemed to try to pull it out of
alignment. I bought the bit and re-drilled all the holes.
the installation was perfectly aligned and all the screws
centered and flush.
2. Sawstop industrial saw - I cannot even begin to express
the magic of a great tablesaw.
3. Festool RO sander with dust extractor - sanding without
dust. I didn't even know this was possible. Prompted by
Leon "Bob, you gotta buy one of these"
4. Veritas saddle square - easy transfer of marks around the
sides of a piece.

Bob

Sand-O-Flex. Now that I'm more of a woodturner than a
woodworker, I've often said I wouldn't turn most of what I
do if I didn't own one. Probably the only way to sand bark,
bark inclusions, voids, etc. I've had one since I used to
sell them in a hardware store I worked at in the 70's-80's.
I used it to debur routed edges when I did flat work, but
only rarely. Now I use one nearly every day.

Phil