Posted to uk.d-i-y
John Rumm John Rumm is offline

Default Stick welding revelation

On 29/07/2020 17:16, wrote:
On 29/07/2020 15:38, newshound wrote:
On 29/07/2020 11:25,
wrote:

I did something similar a few months ago and wish I'd done it much
earlier. I'd had a large'ish transformer-based MIG welder for a
looong time, it worked well-enough but I used it so rarely that my
welds were always a bit embarrassing, which meant I used it less. I
took the plunge and bought a 180 inverter MIG/MMA from R-Tech and
using it is a totally different experience to using the old welder, I
also switched from using CO2 pub gas to an Argon mix. Welding is so
much easier and gives excellent quality, plus the box is much smaller
and lighter. There are cheaper units out there but R-Tech were
helpful on the phone and have a long'ish warranty. They aren't cheap,
but I sold the old welder so the upgrade cost was affordable and well
worthwhile. I thoroughly recommend R-Tech and the 180 MIG welder.

And that is fine on 240V? I have a SIP 240v MIG that feels
underpowered, as does the cheap Lidl MMA inverter.

Yes, I'm running it on a 13A plug and welding up to 3mm MS. The
manufacturer says a 16A plug will be needed to use the highest settings
but I'll deal with that when I need to.

I have installed a blue commando style socket for it in the workshop,
but so far have not found anything that needed more than the 13A supply.

(note that until the other day, it was still loaded with 0.6mm wire
which was more suited to daughter's project using lots of 0.8mm steel -
so it was not being taxed. I was using 2.5mm rods, and that was fine on
a plug. I did not try my 4mm rods)

It looks like JR and I bought the same model welder so maybe he can
report on using it with thicker steel.

Will do, when I have something heavier to weld.

The only thing I don't like is the display of current, which works
(apparently) when welding ... but who looks at a display when they're
welding?

:-) yup, you need to set your camera to film it!

(a sample and hold would be handy)

And if I could do a trade I would actually be reducing my tool count!

Yeah, I can see this growing... AC/DC tig, plasma cutter, etc.

--
Cheers,

John.

http://www.internode.co.uk |