Posted to uk.d-i-y
Fredxx[_3_] Fredxx[_3_] is offline

Default Stick welding revelation

On 29/07/2020 14:33:23, John Rumm wrote:
On 29/07/2020 13:16, Fredxx wrote:
On 29/07/2020 02:06:31, John Rumm wrote:

snip

I wanted to weld up some bits of rebar outside, and the wind was
quite strong. So, ideal time to try it in MMA mode...Â* and wow what a
difference! You can strike an arc with ease, it runs quiet and smooth
with a really nice stable DC arc, and makes it almost easy to get
pretty decent results with relatively little skill or practice. No
buzzing, spluttering, or sticking either.

Of course gasless wire would have done the trick too.

Indeed, but I have not got any of that in stock[1], but still have a
third of a 5kg box of 2.5mm electrodes left (which I bought them from
CPC *years* ago :-)

[1] and the slight faff or remembering to swap the polarity.

I have welded satisfactorily when not swapping the electrodes. There was
a lot more platter though.

(It was telling that I got through about 8 rods in ten to fifteen mins
with the other welder that would have been over an hours work!)

I have a very old MIG welder and was thinking of making the jump to
TIG[1] with AC/DC provision to weld aluminium. Some machines can do all
three MMA/MIG/TIG.

[1] I would obviously need a bottle of pure argon.