Posted to uk.d-i-y
John Rumm John Rumm is offline

Default Stick welding revelation

On 29/07/2020 13:11, Harry Bloomfield wrote:
John Rumm presented the following explanation :
With hindsight, I bought it as a solution looking for a problem - I
just thought it would be a handy thing to have. I remember telling a
work mate who I knew was into welding, and his only question was
"Why?" - the significance of the question dawned on me over the next
few years, when as each problem presented, the solution turned out to
not be that good.

I bought my transformer stick welder in the mid-80's second hand,
complete with a pile of new angle iron. I learned stick welding working
on a contract in Italy and fancied keeping my hand in. I had in mind to
make lots of heavy duty shelves for my new garage. I ended up with two
at each side, near the car door and they are still there, but over full
now. It has come in useful many times since then for lots of jobs.

Since then, I bought a transformer MIG welder, but that has been much
less useful or used.

Best welding accessory I bought was a auto-dimming welding helmet.

Yup :-)

(I am tempted to get one of the R-Tech XL ones - they have a bigger
window so you get a better view of what you are doing)

--
Cheers,

John.