Posted to uk.d-i-y
T i m T i m is offline

Default Stick welding revelation

On Wed, 29 Jul 2020 02:06:31 +0100, John Rumm
wrote:

For years I have used a very basic SIP Merlin AC Arc welder (mostly
repair work, sticking the mower deck back together, and the occasional
bit of crude fabrication). Its a transformer based lump, pretty crude
with a ridiculously poor duty cycle (weld for 7 mins, let it cool down
for half an hour - improved to weld[2] for 7 mins let it cool for 15
with the addition of a couple of large fans internally). However I put
up with it on the grounds that I don't need to weld things that often.

[2] In fact never mind welding, just turn it on a wait for ten mins and
it will overheat and cut out all by itself.

Yup, I have a very cheap (like 15 quid) one from Lidl and it's nearly
useless for anything serious. It does work though, for a very
restricted value of the word. ;-)

snip story

So moral of the story, I wish I had gone for something like it years
ago, and I now have a new found respect for IGBT inverter arc welders -
they make the whole process quite civilised!

I have a SIP branded 150Ah stick welder that I have built (and still
got) many things with, including several trailers. When you get a good
one, plugged into a good supply (and not a long extension lead) and
with the right rods, it worked very well.

(anyone got a use for a 150A Merlin?)

The Mrs bought me a Lincoln MIG years ago and that's a real pleasure
to use. Had an rental bottle on it from BOC (Argoshield Universal?)
but gave that back [1] and now have a rent free one that works out
much cheaper. I have gassless wire but not used it yet.

I did a welding class at college (one afternoon a week for 2 years)
and we covered most of the technologies available at the time and it
was very handy (for my practical lifestyle pov).

Cheers, T i m

p.s. College welding class, lad in the booth next to me stick welding
up a test piece. I here a 'pop', then see a torch come over the screen
and into my booth and hear some screams. I put my torch down and flip
my visor in time to see him busting out though the curtains behind the
booths and run over to the quenching tank, where he plunges his face
into the rusty water ...

It turns out a ball of weld / flux had ricocheted off his apron and
gone up his nose ... ;-(

They sent him to hospital 'in case' and I believe he made a full
recovery. ;-)

[1] Along with my oxy-acetylene bottles.