Posted to uk.d-i-y
NY[_2_] NY[_2_] is offline

Default Engine Oil top ups (thing of the past maybe?)

The fact of the matter is that materials have come on hugely. A 1960s BMC
A or B engine needed new big end shells at 30,000 and mains at 60,000 or a
complete rebuild with rebore and new pistons at 90,000.

Most modern engines are 120-180k before there is *any* noticeable wear.

Metals are harder, oils are better and machining is to far tighter
tolerances.

My 2008 Peugeot has done 180,000 and it's still on its original clutch (*),
exhaust system and shock absorbers. The timing belt was replaced at about
100,000 miles - not because it was worn but because this was the mileage
stated by the manufacturer, and a broken belt would cause a valve/piston
collision and hence major engine repair. The water pump was replaced at the
same time simply because it is driven by the timing belt and the labour to
replace the pump is the same as to replace the belt, so it makes sense to
replace the pump just in case, rather than pay for a second lot of labour
some time later on (the cost of a new pump is a lot less than the labour to
replace it).

OK, so it's needed a new catalytic converter and diesel particulate filter,
two things that a 1960s BMC A or B engine would not have had, but those are
there for environmental rather than performance reasons: the car would run
(illegally) perfectly well without them.

I'm not aware of any rust on the body or on any of the structural members.
My first car, a 1980 Renault 5, suffered from bad rust over the rear wheels,
but even that wasn't structural.

(*) Although the bite point has gradually risen, there's no hint of slippage
so it doesn't need replacing yet. I've never had a car before that has
lasted beyond about 80,000 on the same clutch.