Posted to uk.d-i-y
JohnP JohnP is offline

Default Engine Oil top ups (thing of the past maybe?)

Thomas Prufer wrote in
:

On Sun, 26 Jul 2020 13:48:44 +0100, Another John
wrote:

Cheapest was a synthetic oil. I asked the lad there (an about-40 yrs
old lad, spent all his working life in the motor factors, and engines)
about mixing this with the oil I'd got: he said "doesn't matter -
just shove it in, as long as it's the right viscosity".

ISTR: there was once a time where the different additives in engine
oils could be incompatible, and cause it to gel or thicken. Along came
the military, and mandated that all oils be mixable without (drastic)
downsides.

(I tried to find my source, but google groups seem more broken than
usual, returning 0 hits for "motor oil mix"...)

Thomas Prufer

Seeing lots of stickers used to be something I looked for when buying a
used car. It implied it had been serviced. Free advert for the oil
company as well.