Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Engine Oil top ups (thing of the past maybe?)

In article ,
Another John wrote:
Cheapest was a synthetic oil. I asked the lad there (an about-40 yrs
old lad, spent all his working life in the motor factors, and engines)
about mixing this with the oil I'd got: he said "doesn't matter - just
shove it in, as long as it's the right viscosity".

So I did. The Panda hasn't complained yet. (It does about 4000m per
year btw).

I very much doubt using the wrong oil would ever have immediate
consequences. But might well cause premature engine wear.

Oddly, it can be more so on older engines. Pushrod engines have much
higher loads to the camshaft than modern OHC multi valve types. And a worn
cam may not stop it running, but will reduce the performance and increase
fuel usage.

--
*Stable Relationships Are For Horses.

Dave Plowman London SW