Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Engine Oil top ups (thing of the past maybe?)

Yes well, the smell and smoke from the older cars like the ones described
could not under any circumstances to be said to be clean and green. Mind you
surprised people have not banned 2 stroke engines as used in some garden
equipment and el cheapo outboard motors as they check out a heap of blue
smellyness. When I was young I liked the smell. weird.
Brian

--
----- --
The Sofa of Brian Gaff...

Blind user, so no pictures please
Note this Signature is meaningless.!
"Chris Hogg" wrote in message
On Sat, 25 Jul 2020 14:20:06 +0100, The Natural Philosopher
wrote:

On 25/07/2020 14:18, Andy Bennet wrote:
On 25/07/2020 13:26, Max Demian wrote:
On 25/07/2020 12:11, JohnP wrote:

Just chatting with a neighbour about engine oils (as you do) and
remembering how, after an oil change, a sticker would be put on your
engine
to show what oil had been used. It used to be helpful back then - I
would
think even more now with synthetics, semi-synthetics and mineral oils
in
use. Has anyone seen this recently?

Never. I may have been lucky, but I've never had a car that really
required a top-up between oil changes. (First car a 1972 Escort.)

Never bothered. Used to have an old 850 Mini that did 500 miles to the
pint. Always carried a gallon of Duckhams 20/40W in the boot for on the
fly topups!

My GF had one that did 50 miles to the quart.../

When I was a kid in the 1950's my father regularly bought half a pint
of oil from the local garage when getting petrol. The garage forecourt
had a little row of graduated oil-pouring cans standing by the pumps
just for that purpose.

--

Chris