Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Engine Oil top ups (thing of the past maybe?)

In article ,
Max Demian wrote:
Worked on the pumps one summer in the mid 60's, often got asked to
check the oil and top it up. We were required to refill empty oil
cans from the bulk tank in the workshop, and try to make sure the
customer didn't see that we didn't have to remove an aluminium tab
from them. Castrolite and XL in those days.

Probably filtered sump oil.

You'd need some filtration to make used oil look clean again. Although it
can be done in a factory. Many small garages used old sump oil to heat the
workshop in the winter.

In the 60s they had bulk oil tanks on the
forecourt and green jugs to transfer the oil to the engine.

Yes - a cabinet containing the oil. And a hand pump to get it to the jug.

--
*When it rains, why don't sheep shrink? *

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.