Posted to alt.home.repair
Ralph Mowery Ralph Mowery is offline

Default Attach outlet extender

In article ,
says...

"Illegal" is a stretch but the NEC does say you are not supposed to
use outlet devices like this as a substitute for building wiring on a
permanent basis.
The general consensus, as stated by Cindy, is plug strips and such are
tolerated if they have a breaker protecting the cord and they are not
daisy chained. Our county life safety officer hated them in the IBM
office and we just bought surge protecting strips to shut him up. I am
not sure we were protected from surges by that little MOV in there but
we were protected from "the man".

I really stopped caring at the face of receptacle. Whatever the user
plugs in is out of my jurisdiction. That is why we have 240.4(D) that
protects "small conductors" at 80% ampacity.

About 20 years ago where I worked we had to replace many of the power
strips with surge power strips because of some inspection. Somewhat over
100 in the plant. One place that was really hit hard was a table that
had about 15 pagers on charge. All of them together probably only took
an amp or two. There were 3 of the power strips in series to power all
the charging.

I worked for a while at a hospital. In one operating room was some old
obsolete X-ray equipment that was never used. The requirements were for
a lead lined door. The door for that room was in the way and was
removed, but every time we were up for inspection that door was replced
for a week or so and in everyones way.