Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Attach outlet extender

On Sun, 19 Jul 2020 17:18:01 -0400, Fred McKenzie
wrote:

In article ,
Clare Snyder wrote:

Yes, replace it with one like third one down that has a screw to hold it
in place
https://www.amazon.com/outlet-extend...utlet+extender

Clowns will do what clowns will do.

I'm Guilty as charged!

But the outlet adapter I referred to was like one several items down on
that page: "GE 6 Outlet Wall Plug Adapter Power Strip, Extra Wide
Spaced Outlets for Cell Phone Charger, Power Adapter, 3 Prong, Multi
Outlet Wall Charger, Quick & Easy Install, For Home Office, Home
Theater, Kitchen, or Bathroom, UL Listed, White, 50759".

This adapter replaces the original cover plate from a common dual
outlet. It is held in place with a central screw. Several other
slightly different configurations are also available. They are commonly
found in hardware stores.

If these adapters are illegal, I was not aware of it.

Fred

"Illegal" is a stretch but the NEC does say you are not supposed to
use outlet devices like this as a substitute for building wiring on a
permanent basis.
The general consensus, as stated by Cindy, is plug strips and such are
tolerated if they have a breaker protecting the cord and they are not
daisy chained. Our county life safety officer hated them in the IBM
office and we just bought surge protecting strips to shut him up. I am
not sure we were protected from surges by that little MOV in there but
we were protected from "the man".

I really stopped caring at the face of receptacle. Whatever the user
plugs in is out of my jurisdiction. That is why we have 240.4(D) that
protects "small conductors" at 80% ampacity.