Posted to alt.home.repair
[email protected] bruce2bowser@gmail.com is offline

Default Splice 220 volt 6 gauge line outside- is it safe?

Thursday, July 16, 2020 at 10:23AM, Ralph Mowery wrote:
In article ,
says...

Easy to insulate against 220V, maybe a little trickier when it's 8,000. They're putting in a new 115,000 V line near me, the project manager told me they work at line potential, as there's no insulation that can cope.

Up to around 500 volts many things will work for insulation. Over 1000
volts and things that will protect you from the lower voltages will just
arc through and provide no protection at all.

I saw a program on TV about the very high voltage workers. They would
use long insulated poles and wipe them down and the poles had a mark on
them as to not put your hands past that mark.

Even more interisting was the ones on the transmissioin lines where they
wold have a helicopter put the man on the wiring. The voltage was so
high the man was in a special suit. Seems to me it was a conductive
suit to pass the very high voltage around him as evenbeing very close to
the lines was bad for him.

Believe it or not, they have a 1,100 Kilovolt direct current span across the Yellow River in China. The pictures of that are unbelievable. That thing is up in the clouds, big time. I think it's called the Changji-Guquan or something.