Posted to rec.woodworking
Sonny Sonny is offline

Default Through mortising on wide timbers (8"x8")

On Friday, July 17, 2020 at 11:32:08 AM UTC-5, wrote:
I'm looking to cut 3 pass-through mortises (2"x6" long) on each of eight large pressure-treated square timbers (8"×8" wide x 8 feet long) for a small post & rail fencing project.

Well, without dedicated power tools, you're limited to what you have on hand. For your 6" long side, use a circular saw to cut ~2" deep. Use your longest drill bit/spade bit/brace & bit to gouge out the interior, then clean up with chisel. Sawsall is another on-hand option, also. You have some sort of game plan, though it may not be so easy and fast. Might as well commit yourself to a little work. There ain't no quick and easy method without dedicated power tools.... or lots of practice with a chain saw.

For my tedious jobs as this, I dedicate about half a day's work time. Work a little, rest and have a beer, work some more, have a beer, etc. Before you know it the job is done. For my unpleasant jobs, I spend time doing the work, little by little, rather than sitting around thinking how to so it the "cheap" way. We don't always have "game changer" tools on hand.

Sonny