Posted to rec.woodworking

Default What's your game changer?

"John Grossbohlin" on Fri, 17
Jul 2020 13:49:12 -0400 typed in rec.woodworking the following:
"pyotr filipivich" wrote in message
.. .

Power tools as "apprentice" - "you, feed these boards into the
saw."

But as I said when I started tech school, and we shifted from
manual machines to CNC "think of it as a really dumb apprentice who
does exactly what he's told, even if it is wrong."

My father served an apprenticeship as a tool a die maker early in his
career. Now 86 he still talks about how they gave the apprentices a block of
steel and told them to file it into a square cube...

I've heard that a lot. Royce machinist could make a hex head free
hand with a file, etc.

When I worked in the
Gunsmith Shop at Williamsburg the litmus test for whether they spent any
time on you was whether you could make wood screws with files...

Not sure how that would be done, but, I've never tried.

If you
couldn't do that there was no way you'd ever be able to make a flintlock.
Windows and Mac operating systems have let pretty much anybody use a
computer. Cars, houses, guns, etc... the skill knowledge is being
concentrated by a small number of companies who will generate an income
stream by letting others license the technology.

The skills are being built into the machine. Been saying that
since the first mechanized widgets.

tschus
pyotr
--
pyotr filipivich
We didn't have these sorts of problems when I was a boy,