Posted to rec.woodworking
[email protected] hubops@ccanoemail.ca is offline

Default Through mortising on wide timbers (8"x8")

On Fri, 17 Jul 2020 09:32:04 -0700 (PDT), wrote:

I'm looking to cut 3 pass-through mortises (2"x6" long)
on each of eight large pressure-treated square timbers (8"× 8" x 8 ft long)
for a small post & rail fencing project.
I've cut mortises on smaller thickness using just hand tools (drill, chise, wood file).
I can't justify buying a plunger router or drill press just for this project and
hardware companies near me don't rent them out. My plan is to purchase a longer drill bit,
drill numerous holes along the inside edges, chisel out an opening on each side,
use a sawsall tool to cut around the perimeter, and use an oscillating tool to clean up the edges.
This will take some time since I have 24 mortises to cut.
Not needing a tight fit since the rails will be loosely placed inside the mortises.
Any other suggestions on how to do this easily with hand power tools?

https://tinyurl.com/y4s5z8wh

John T.