Posted to alt.home.repair
Ralph Mowery Ralph Mowery is offline

Default Splice 220 volt 6 gauge line outside- is it safe?

In article , says...
Yes, there is insulation that will stand the veryigh voltages. I worked
with a large company that converted the main power to 13,200 volts and
fed it around the plant to about 20 of what we called substations . This
was usually ran in open wire trays. The wire is insulated,but just
layed in the trays. Some inside and some outside. There it was
converted to mostly 480 volt 3 phase and often 600 amps.

Sounds like an interesting place (but some industries are not-so-fun).

I worked as an electrician and instrument technician. Covers a very
broad ammount of equipment. Worked on pnumanic (air controled)
controllers, computer controlled came later to replace that. It was a
plant that made polyester from raw materials. We mixed a white powder
tht looked similar to flour called TA for short and Glycol (similar to
the antifreeze in cars) and a few trace chemicals. Heated the mix to
around 300 deg C and extruded it to several products. One looked like a
bale of cotton, another was string and the third was pieces that were
about 1/8 inch square and 1/2 inch long . That was shipped to places
that made the plastic bottles like the 2 liter drink bottles. Most
areas of the plant the workers did very little work most of the time,
but just watched the equipment run. They probably worked 2 hours out of
an 8 hour shift.

For a long time it was a great place to work with around 3000 people.
Then the jobs went out of the country and when I retired there were
around 400 people. About 2 or 3 years later it totally went out of
business. It was built about 1965 closed about 2018. Had about 30 acers
under roof.

The power came in to a building at an unknown voltage to me. Then
converted to 13,200 volts and destribuited around to our 'substations'
to be converted to 480 volts 3 phase. Then to other rooms that had the
motor contactors and other items.

You can see a picture on Facebook under FII Buddies.