Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Jon Elson Jon Elson is offline

Default Open neutral

Michael Terrell wrote:

I recently lost the neutral between the pole pig and my meter. I had 67VAC
on one side and over 160VAC on the other. I heard loud frying sounds as
multiple surge supressors died, along with circuit breakers tripping. The
break has. Been repaired, but I only have a couple working circuits. I
lost my A/C and I only have a few working lights. I need to replace the
service. I plan to move it underground. No Internet, phone or TV for
almost a month now. The open neutral damage the CATV line when the neutral
current was shunted through it. I have very poor cell service here. I hope
that this gets posted. It was 98 degrees in my bedroom the other night. No
sleeping in that. I had to take a nap in my truck with the engine running
so that I could use its A/C.

The good news is that your AC runs mostly off of 240 V, and all those
components (compressor, fan motors) should be fine. Probably the control
transformers are fried, that should be a relatively inexpensive fix.

Many computers and LCD monitors should accept anything between 86 and 265
V, if they don't have voltage selector switches. Anything with a wall-wart
will at least need a new wall wart power supply (if on the high phase).

Jon