Posted to rec.woodworking
dpb[_3_] dpb[_3_] is offline

Default What's your game changer?

On 7/12/2020 11:18 AM, Bob D wrote:
This may be an old topic but I am too lazy to search for it.

Do you have an item that has been a game changer for you in pursuit of woodworking excellence. It can be something you purchased or built or found in the trash. It can cost anywhere from free to $1000's. Please refrain from value judgement comments like "too expensive; not worth it; etc". To someone its worth it. I am just looking for inspiration and ideas. Please expand on how or what you accomplished that caused you to say "Wow, this is a real game changer".

I will start it off with some game changers for me.

1. self centering drill bit - I was trying to mount a piano hinge and each screw seemed to try to pull it out of alignment. I bought the bit and re-drilled all the holes. the installation was perfectly aligned and all the screws centered and flush.
2. Sawstop industrial saw - I cannot even begin to express the magic of a great tablesaw.
3. Festool RO sander with dust extractor - sanding without dust. I didn't even know this was possible. Prompted by Leon "Bob, you gotta buy one of these"
4. Veritas saddle square - easy transfer of marks around the sides of a piece.

Bob

Somewhat parallel, but since am older than most redwoods, the Powermatic
Model 66...every bit the saw of SS in mass, balance, etc., but w/o the
then 35 year in the future safety features.

Mine was more mind set of waiting until could afford the better product
before purchase if of significant outlay rather than try to "cheap out".

Was, of course, fortunate in having access to friend's commercial shop
for things like planer and all...of course in keeping with above, there
weren't any lunchbox planers for nearly 30 year from then, either...it
was "real iron" or the hand plane or take it to somebody who had a
planer then.