Posted to rec.woodworking
Leon[_7_] Leon[_7_] is offline

Default Warped Bamboo Cutting Board - Can It Be Flattened?

On 7/11/2020 8:49 AM, DerbyDad03 wrote:
On Wednesday, June 10, 2020 at 12:51:07 PM UTC-4, DerbyDad03 wrote:
Can this be fixed? If so...how?

https://i.imgur.com/1MVvQMW.jpg

I first noticed it this morning and when I asked SWMBO, she said the same
thing. She doesn't recall soaking it or leaving it in a shallow puddle or
anything like that. One day it was flat, then it wasn't.

OK, I was going to say that as old as this topic is you should have
replaced the bamboo cutting boards, watched them warp also, bought
replacements again.....

I just remembered that I forgot to post the solution to the warping issue. It
worked for all 3 cutting boards:

Ignore it and it will go away.

One day, maybe a few weeks after the warping suddenly appeared, I pulled out
one of the bamboo cutting boards and realized that it was completely flat. I
checked the other 2 and they were flat also. Been that way for a couple of
weeks now.

We don't know when they flattened out because we've been using other cutting
boards. Now we're back to using the bamboo ones.

So I would say that one side is absorbing too much moisture. I would
apply what ever is recommended to both sides regularly.

How come when I ignore most other problems they don't just go away?

Because..........

An old saying about why mechanics drive cars that are clunkers. They
know what is wrong and that does not bother them enough to make the
repair. It's when you don't know what is wrong that you want to fix it.